Tennessee Corporate Law Attorney
Henry & McCord provides general counsel services to its education clients in the middle Tennessee area. Our firm has represented educational institutions for over seventeen years. We know the language, procedures, and practical realities of educators and, of course, the legal challenges unique to the education environment. We advise school boards and superintendents on legal matters involving day-to-day school operations. We also defend school systems and individual educators in litigation matters arising in the educational setting.
We serve our educational institution clients as advocates and as trusted counselors in areas such as:
- Employment of Licensed and Classified Employees
- Employee Contracts
- Representation in teacher tenure hearings
- Employee and Student Discipline
- Risk management with respect to potential claims arising from student and athletic activities
- Issues involving Open Meetings and Public Records statutes
- Issues involving Title VII, Title IX, and other civil rights provisions
- Legal defense of Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) and consultation
- Representation in other issues arising under the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Employment, safety and benefit issues (Please review our Employment Law practice area)
- Tort Liability
- School Construction
We aim to have an intimate understanding of our education clients’ needs. We stay abreast of education-related developments, listen closely to our clients, and provide legal services adapted to the education environment. We keep costs down by staffing matters carefully and structuring fee arrangements so that they meet clients’ needs. We emphasize preventive-law strategies to manage legal risk. We are frequently called as a situation unfolds at a school and asked to provide legal guidance to prevent future litigation or, at a minimum, make sure our clients have a good defense.
We closely monitor pressing developments faced by education clients and offer a proactive approach to problem solving. We maintain active membership in and attend conferences for, leading organizations such as the Tennessee Council of School Board Attorneys and the National School Board Association/Council of School Attorneys.
Please see the following Client Alerts: